317-887-2835 |      

There have been so many updates and deadline changes on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) over the last few years it is understandable that many travelers are conflicted about what form of ID they will be required when traveling outside of the U.S. To find the most up-to-the-minute requirements and information please go to  the U.S. Department of State website before you need to travel.


What are the required travel documents when you are traveling to countries outside of the Western Hemisphere Initiative (U.S. properties, Canada and Mexico)?


Your travel professional always recommend that before you travel outside of the U.S. that you check the requirements of each country you are visiting to find out what their entry requirements.  Most will  that you have a valid passport and a few will require a via. To see the listing of countries and to access their entry requirements, please click here. Your Greenwood Travel professional will assist you whenever possible in procuring the necessary travel documents.

If you have not received your passport and your departure date is within 14 days, please contact the National Passport Information Center. You can send an email request by completing the webform. Or you can contact the information center Monday to Friday from 6am to midnite at EST: 1-877-487-2778.

Passport Rule Changes

What Travelers Need to Know About New Regulations

The requirement to possess a valid Passport or PASScard* for all U.S. citizens who travel by air, sea or land to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America, Canada and Mexico has been extended to June 1, 2009. However, the government can accelerate this date based on meeting certain standards.

We urge you to visit the U.S. Department of State’s official website to read about this date extension and to be better informed to pass this information on to your clients. Needless to say, the sooner they obtain their passports, the better.

*Passport Card - also referred to as PASScard: This limited use passport in card format is currently under development and will be available for use for travel only via land or sea (including ferries) between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.  


 Click below to see individual countries' travel documentation requirements: